The choice of dog food can have a massive impact on the pet’s health, behaviour, and overall well-being.
To keep a pup healthy and well-nourished, it is vital to consider whether ingredients in the dog’s food might be more harmful than nutritious.
Characteristics of Good Quality Dog Food
The most critical ingredient in every high-quality dog food is meat. To avoid any allergic reactions from the pet, be sure to check if the food given has corn, soy or wheat. These three types of grain are most likely to induce an allergic reaction in dogs. The meat to grain ratio of the dog food is the first indicator of quality, the more meat, the better. A great option is to avoid dry food altogether and feed the dog wet food.
Recognizing Poor Quality Dog Food
Low-quality dog food often contains a high volume of preservatives and grain.
Here are 5 ingredients one should always avoid when choosing the right food for their dog:
1. Artificial colors are often used by manufacturers to make dog food look better. Some of these chemicals can have a detrimental effect on the pet’s health, According to PawDiet, they don’t provide any nourishment.
2. Unidentified by-products are very difficult, due to their mysterious nature. One can’t be sure exactly what they contain. The Spruce Pets  suggests selecting dog food with little to no by-products.
3. Carbohydrates are not a natural part of canine diets, their bodies aren’t equipped to digest them. Moreover, some dogs can even develop an allergy to grain.
4. Plant protein can cause the dog to become obese and have effects on their digestive tract if eaten in excess. A good way to avoid these issues is to give the dog a source of protein that comes from meat, instead of grain or other plants.
5. Carrageenan comes from processed seaweed and is used as a thickening agent in many dog food brands. This chemical is something that a dog owner should definitely avoid feeding their dog, as it can cause many health issues ranging from intestinal inflammation to ulcers or other digestive issues.
If the dog is having an allergic reaction to dog food, they may demonstrate a variety of symptoms, including:
– Itchy, Dry, Flaky Skin
– Hair Loss
– Bumps, a Rash, or Inflamation of the Skin, including the paw pads
– Chronic Ear Infections
– Obsessive Licking or Chewing
– Upset Stomach and Diarrhea
If one notices any of these signs of allergic reaction, they should contact the veterinarian immediately so that any other possible causes can be ruled out.
A Great Way to Spend Less Money on Dog Food
Healthy, low price dog food can be difficult to find. Limiting the search to the local pet store may just make the shopping experience frustrating, because pet stores can’t be relied on to consistently carry all of great brands. Instead, we recommend that search is started online. Not only will one find a wider variety to choose from by looking online, they will also be able to search for the ingredients much faster.
The dog owner and their veterinarian know what ingredients and brands of food are good for the dog – a dog owner knows their dog’s history, as well as what ingredients have previously caused an allergic reaction or caused him or her to gain weight. Thus, by searching for dog food that contains the particular ingredients that the dog needs, the owner will be able to find the right brand faster.
Moreover, searching online allows to have greater control over the budget. When someone shows up in their local pet store, they might get stuck paying whatever brands they are promoting. Given that most manufacturers sell their dogs online, you will have the option to purchase from the manufacturer directly or to check out how much a particular type of dog food is at different stores. As long as you make sure that all of the ingredients in your dog’s food are nutritious and safe for your pet, it should be easy to find food that makes your dog and your wallet happy.
As with any purchase, it’s always a good idea to keep up to date on the latest news and research about dog food. It is also important to compare at least 3 or 4 different options before making a final decision. A balance of price, taste, and healthy ingredients is the goal.
One should always consult the vet when choosing the right type of food for their precious pet. The next step is to employ the help of the internet and search for different manufacturers, brands and customer reviews. After learning about dog food processing methods, ingredients, and company reputation, one can make an informed decision that will keep their dog happy and healthy. After selecting the superior brand of dog food for pet’s needs, it is wise to look for bargains online. Purchasing bulk amounts of dog food online can save both time and money while providing the most nutritious diet for the pet.
And remember, a healthy dog is a happy dog!
 PawDiet. “Artificial Food Dyes in Dog and Cat Food.” https://www.pawdiet.com/articles/artificial-food-dyes-in-dog-and-cat-food/
 DogFoodAdvisor. “The Truth About Animal By-Products in Dog Food.” https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/choosing-dog-food/animal-by-products/
 Wag! “Grain Allergies in Dogs.” https://wagwalking.com/condition/grain-allergies