Education does not have to be expensive. If you desire to turn your passion for computers into a career, there are plenty of free online courses you can use to brush up your IT skills. This requires only an internet connection and a laptop or smart phone, and of course, your time! An online course is web-based learning, where students log on and engage in traditional class activities such as reading, discussion, and testing. The online system allows for completing coursework on each student’s calendar, but engagement and teamwork are still cultivated in the online classroom[i].
Benefits of an Online IT course
As time progresses, so does technology, and it shows no signs of slowing down any time soon[ii]. Signing up for online IT courses is the best way to take advantage of what technology has in store. Some benefits of online IT courses include;
- Get better at your job – for people whose jobs or careers are in tech-savvy fields; IT courses are an outstanding way to understand the job’s technological aspects better. A course in IT is becoming highly valued in many careers, especially those with a creative or financial focus. Employees who complete IT courses give themselves an instant boost in their job performance.
- Make more connections – one of the greatest perks of completing an IT course is that it focuses on employability and practical skills. Students meet like-minded individuals and create new networks. Networking is vital to finding employment in the professional sphere. Interacting with others also creates new friendships and provides insights that would otherwise not be possible.
- Modernize your skills – staying professionally relevant in a dynamic and constantly changing workforce is not a walk in the park. IT courses are currently among the consistently expanding area of demand for employees. Updating a current skill set and adding extra accomplishments to existing skills is the best way to establish mastery and experience.
- Earn more money – up, scaling your skill set, and having a solid base in a practical area is the right way to start a good salary or receive a raise. IT skills gained through online IT courses are highly prized in modern businesses as graduates get considered because of their transferrable skills.
- Expand your knowledge -keeping the mind active has evident benefits for anyone who has been out of school for a while. By putting yourself in an unfamiliar situation and completing new challenges, you can find renewed education enthusiasm. This also heightens the ability to adapt and expand minds to a fresh skill set[iii].
Online IT Course Options
This platform offers diverse free IT courses in networking and security, hardware and software development, mobile apps, software engineering, among others. You can choose either short certificate courses or opt for more comprehensive diploma courses. While the online course is free, you will need to pay a fee to get a printed certificate. You can also subscribe to the premium account where you have more access to IT skills.
EdX IS a massive open online course (MOOC) provider with IT courses developed by schools, non-profit organizations, and corporations. The programs are offered for free to users with courses from recognized institutions such as MIT and Harvard. Courses are administered through short videos, tutorial videos, interactive learning exercises, online textbooks. The platforms allow students to interact with each other, ask questions, and reach out to teaching assistants. After completion of the course, you will receive a certificate.
Coursera offers a considerable selection of free computer programming courses to choose from. They include fundamentals of programming and programming languages like python, C, and Java. You can take advantage of the free programs, but you need to pay a fee for a certificate.
There are many ways to learn about the latest in IT. One of the most efficient ways is through the online IT course platforms. Before settling on an IT course, it is important to find a reputable education option. Ensure that the administering institution is regionally accredited. Some institutions do not possess regional accreditation, and employers may not regard certificates from these institutions. You can determine an institution’s accreditation by looking into their website. Since there are many online options, you can always choose the best for you if one does not work out. With the information shared here, anyone can find success with an online IT course.
[i] “Top Online Courses In Information Technology 2021”. Onlinestudies.Com, 2020. https://www.onlinestudies.com/Courses/Information-Technology/.
[ii] “Reaping The Benefits Of Online IT Courses”. Onlineeducationinfo, 2020. http://onlineeducationinfo.com/reaping-the-benefits-of-online-it-courses/.
[iii] “5 Unexpected Benefits Of Information Technology Courses |”. Westerncommunitycollege.Ca, 2020. https://westerncommunitycollege.ca/blog/5-unexpected-benefits-of-information-technology-courses/.
[iv] White, Sarah. “12 Free Online Course Sites For Growing Your Tech Skills”. CIO, 2020. https://www.cio.com/article/3281388/8-free-online-course-sites-for-growing-your-tech-skills.html.