The best way to maintain a flawless complexion is by applying the proper moisturizer. It takes only several moments out of your day to keep a healthy skincare routine. However, an essential part of the process is finding products that best satisfy the needs of your skin. Here’s what you should pay attention to when searching for products to incorporate in your daily skincare routine.
Determine Your Skin Type
Before choosing what you will apply to your face and body, it is best to consider the type of skin you have. According to The American Academy of Dermatology,  there are five types of skin, each requiring different care.
- Normal skin is soft to the touch, without significant redness or flaws. It doesn’t have excess oil and isn’t dry.
- Oily skin is characterized by enlarged pores and pimples or blemishes. It is best to treat this skin with a lotion that is watery and doesn’t congest pores.
- Dry skin is the most demanding skin type, due to its lack of moisture. In many cases, the dryness is accompanied by redness and small flakes of skin falling off. Thick creamy moisturizers are best suited for this skin type.
- Combination skin is a mixture of oily, dry and normal skin. Oily areas are usually the T-zone, while cheeks may be dry. The combinations can vary from person to person.
- Sensitive skin requires special attention, it is critical to check the contents of your cosmetic products, to avoid irritation. This skin type is also susceptible to climate and environmental influences.
Improve Your Skincare Routine
The ideal time to do your skincare routine is right after you wake up and just before you go to sleep. You should have a complete and dedicated skincare routine that is suitable to your skin that includes the core products: cleanser, moisturizer and sunscreen. The best strategy is to wash your face with warm water and a gentle sponge or cloth. After drying off, quickly to put on a layer of moisturizer and give it time to soak in. According to Real Simple,  you shouldn’t use any makeup products until you allow your moisturizer at least one minute to sink into the skin.
Keep Your Skin Safe in the Sun
One of the leading causes of skin cancer is exposure to harmful UV rays from the sun. Research conducted by the American Academy of Dermatology  suggests that nearly 20% of people living in the US will be affected by skin cancer. The most effective prevention method is keeping your skin safe by covering it in a layer of sunscreen before going outside. Depending on your skin type you can choose between a wide array of sunscreen products, ranging from 15 to 50 SPF. Some moisturizers have sunscreen added to their formula and provide full protection.
Things to Look out for When Choosing a Moisturizer
Creams containing perfume and dyes, hydrocortisone or other steroids, alcohol or large amounts of acids are only suitable for certain types of skin and can severely damage different skin types.
To sum up, before opting to buy a moisturizer you should consider products designed specifically for your skin type and don’t forget that price doesn’t determine quality.