Most mainstream and traditional means of washing a body won’t work for someone with sensitive skin or a skin condition such as eczema. Sensitive skin needs two things in a body wash – hydration and soothing ingredients.
Ingredients To Avoid
Regular soap or the shower gels are a definite no-no for sensitive skin. They contain at least one of the ingredients that not only dry out sensitive skin but also irritate it and can cause further problems such as skin allergies.
According to The Fox and She, these are the ingredients you should avoid if you have sensitive skin:
1. Parabens – harsh chemicals which work like estrogen, so they can cause a hormone imbalance in your body. It is wise to avoid anything that ends in -paraben in the ingredients list, but some of the most common ones you can find on the back of your body wash bottle are methylparaben, butylparaben, etylparaben, etc.
2. Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) and Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) – well-known irritants, harsh cleansers that create abundant foam once the product is rubbed on the skin. They can cause irritation and skin allergies.
3. Formaldehyde – that’s right, the liquid that biology labs keep their animal carcasses in. It’s the most problematic ingredient on the list because it’s a carcinogen that has been found to trigger asthma and cause neurotoxicity.
What Should I Search For?
You should check well the back of every bottle of body wash you consider buying, and make sure to look for as many of the following things:
• Mild Soap – have less or preferably no chemicals, parabens or sulfates.
• Hydrating Oils – hydrating soaps made with coconut, olive, and similar oils.
• Shea Butter – it will hydrate your skin and help it hold the moisture for longer.
• Vitamin E Extract – it repairs dry skin and helps with its elasticity.
Our Top Body Washes For Sensitive Skin
It can be hard when you are faced with the overwhelming display in a store. That’s why we found the following three products to help you with your search for the perfect body wash for you!
1. Dove Sensitive Skin Unscented Body Wash
With its hypoallergenic formula of mild soap ingredients that is free of parabens and irritating fragrances, it is the number one choice of many dermatologists. Regular use will leave your skin smooth, soft, and deeply hydrated.
2. Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
Many of Cetaphil’s cleansers are suitable for sensitive skin, but this one towers above the rest. It will simultaneously clean and sooth your skin, leaving it smooth and hydrated without feeling heavy on your skin, leaving your natural barrier fully intact.
3. CeraVe Hydrating Body Wash
If your skin is easily irritated, this one is for you. Unlike the other cleansers without the chemicals, this one will foam and clean your body without the stripping of the oils. Over time it will leave your skin with better hydration levels than before, essentially ridding you of your dry skin issues.
Health Beauty Me,Top 10 Best Body Washes & Soaps for Dry Skin: 2020 Reviews & Guide
The Fox and She, 8 Toxic Beauty & Skincare Ingredients to Avoid (& Why)