Breast reduction surgery, also known as reduction mammaplasty, is a cosmetic procedure that involves removing excess tissue and skin from the breasts to decrease their size. This type of surgery is done to reduce physical discomfort caused by overly large breasts, such as neck pain, back pain, shoulder pain, bra strap grooves in the shoulders, and restricted activity due to breast size. Breast reduction surgery can also improve the shape of the breasts so that they look more proportionate with the rest of your body.
The Need for Breast Reduction Surgery
Improved Comfort: Breast reduction surgery can help to alleviate physical symptoms caused by overly large breasts, such as neck, back and shoulder pain, bra strap grooves in the shoulders, and restricted activity.In addition, the right bra can be difficult to fit and find due to abnormal breast size.
Enhanced Confidence: Many women report feeling more confident and comfortable with their bodies after breast reduction surgery, because their new shape is more proportionate and aesthetically pleasing to them.The improved self-esteem that often accompanies the physical changes can be empowering and encouraging.
Better Posture: By reducing the weight of your breasts, you can stand taller with improved posture.By having good posture, you can reduce muscle strain and fatigue on the back, neck, and shoulders, which could help to improve your overall physical health. Additionally, improved posture may also help to make you look taller, slimmer and more attractive.
Improved Self-Image: Many women feel that their overly large breasts have caused them to be self-conscious in the past, and breast reduction surgery can help them to feel more confident and comfortable in their own skin.
Decreased Risk of Skin Irritations: Overly large breasts can cause skin irritations, such as rashes and redness, due to the weight of your breasts. By decreasing the size of your breasts through breast reduction surgery, you can reduce the risk of these types of skin irritations. Improved clothing options– With smaller breasts, you may be able to wear clothing that you previously felt uncomfortable in.It can also be easier to find clothing that fits properly after breast reduction surgery.
Types of Breast Reduction Surgery
- Liposuction– During this procedure, excess fat is removed from the breasts using a thin tube known as a cannula. This is done under general anesthesia and can be used to reduce the volume of the breasts. The procedure can also help to improve the shape, contour, and proportion of the breasts.
- Scarless breast reduction– This technique involves using liposuction to remove excess fat and repositioning the nipple while keeping incisions to a minimum for minimal scarring. This method is preferred for patients with smaller amounts of excess fat. It leaves only a small scar that fades over time and doesn’t affect the outcome or shape of the breast.
- Traditional Breast Reduction– This procedure involves making an incision around the areola and then vertically down to the breast crease. The excess skin, tissue, and fat is then removed. The nipple and areola may also be resized or repositioned, depending on the patient’s desired outcome. After the surgery is complete, the surgeon will close the incisions with sutures and place a compression bandage over them for protection.
- Keyhole Breast Reduction- During this procedure, a keyhole shaped incision is made around the areola before excess tissue and fat are removed and the nipple is repositioned. This type of reduction is suitable for women with smaller breasts that require only a slight reshaping. The doctor will then reposition the nipple and areola, as well as tighten the skin around it to give a more aesthetically pleasing shape.
- Inverted T Breast Reduction– This procedure involves making an incision in the shape of an inverted T and then removing excess skin, tissue, and fat before repositioning the nipple. The remaining skin is then stitched together to create a more natural look. This procedure can provide a more proportional look to the breasts and help reduce the discomfort associated with large breasts. Additionally, it helps improve posture by reducing the weight of the chest on the shoulder muscles. Recovery times for this procedure vary depending on each individual but typically last between 6-8 weeks.
Breast reduction surgery is a popular procedure that can help to reduce the size of overly large breasts. It can also improve the shape of your breasts so they are more proportionate with the rest of your body. The surgery can also alleviate physical symptoms caused by overly large breasts such as neck, back and shoulder pain, bra strap grooves in the shoulders, and restricted clothing options. By reducing the size of your breasts, you can also have improved self-confidence and a better self-image.
1.Breast Reduction Surgery: https://www.webmd.com/beauty/cosmetic-procedures-breast-reduction-surgery
2.Breast Reduction Surgery:https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/treatment-tests-and-therapies/breast-reduction-surgery
3. Breast reduction surgery:https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/breast-reduction-surgery/about/pac-20385246