To ensure your cat gets the right nourishment, you have to make sure you do the right research. It is vital to consider all ingredients as well as the price range to find the best solution for your pet. Your choice of cat food can have a massive impact on your cat’s health, behaviour, and overall well-being.
Characteristics of Quality Cat Food
The most critical ingredient in every high-quality cat food is meat. To avoid allergic reactions from your pet, be sure to check if the food you give it has corn, soy or wheat. These three types of grain are most likely to induce an allergic reaction in cats. The meat to grain ratio of the cat food is the first indicator of quality, the more meat, the better. The best option is to avoid dry food altogether and feed your cat wet food.
Recognizing Poor Quality Cat Food
Low-quality cat food often contains a high volume of preservatives and grain.
Here are 5 ingredients you should always avoid when choosing the right food for your cat:
1. Artificial colors are often used by manufacturers to make cat food look better. Some of these chemicals can have a detrimental effect on your pet’s health, According to PawDiet, they don’t provide any nourishment.
2. Unidentified by-products are very problematic, due to their mysterious nature. You can’t be sure exactly what they contain. The Spruce Pets  suggests selecting cat food with little to no by-products.
3. Carbohydrates are not a natural part of feline diets, their bodies aren’t equipped to digest them. CatInfo.org  recommends that only 1 or 2% of carbohydrates be present in every meal. Some poor quality cat food may include a large percentage of carbohydrates.
4. Plant protein can cause your cat to become obese and have severe effects on their digestive tract if eaten in excess. The best way to avoid these issues is to give your cat a source of protein that comes from meat, instead of grain or other plants.
5. Carrageenan comes from processed seaweed and is used as a thickening agent in many cat food brands. This chemical is something you should definitely avoid feeding your cat, as it can cause many health issues ranging from intestinal inflammation to ulcers or other digestive problems.
The Best Way to Save Money on Cat Food
You should always consult your vet when choosing the right type of food for your precious pet. The next step is to employ the help of the internet and search for different manufacturers, brands and customer reviews. After learning about cat food processing methods, ingredients, and company reputation, you can make an informed decision that will keep your cat happy and healthy. After selecting the best brand of cat food for your pet’s needs, it is wise to look for discounts or coupons online. Purchasing bulk amounts of cat food online can save you both time and money while providing the most nutritious diet for your kitty.
And remember, a healthy cat is a happy cat!