Your choice of dog food can have a massive impact on your pup’s health, behavior, and well-being. Give them nothing but the best by avoiding harmful ingredients and instead selecting food that’s both delicious and nutritious. This article gives you top tips for keeping your dog in top shape through the best nutrition choices. Keep reading!
Characteristics of Good Quality Dog Food
The most critical ingredient in every high-quality dog food is meat. To avoid any allergic reactions from your pet, be sure to check if the food you give it has corn, soy or wheat. These three types of grain are most likely to induce an allergic reaction in dogs. The meat to grain ratio of the dog food is the first indicator of quality, the more meat, the better. The best option is to avoid dry food altogether and feed your dog wet food.
Recognizing Poor Quality Dog Food
Low-quality dog food often contains a high volume of preservatives and grain.
Here are 5 ingredients you should always avoid when choosing the right food for your dog:
1. Artificial colors are often used by manufacturers to make dog food look better. Some of these chemicals can have a detrimental effect on your pet’s health, According to PawDiet, they don’t provide any nourishment.
2. Unidentified by-products are very problematic, due to their mysterious nature. You can’t be sure exactly what they contain. The Spruce Pets  suggests selecting dog food with little to no by-products.
3. Carbohydrates are not a natural part of canine diets, their bodies aren’t equipped to digest them. Moreover, some dogs can even develop an allergy to grain.
4. Plant protein can cause your dog to become obese and have severe effects on their digestive tract if eaten in excess. The best way to avoid these issues is to give your dog a source of protein that comes from meat, instead of grain or other plants.
5. Carrageenan comes from processed seaweed and is used as a thickening agent in many dog food brands. This chemical is something you should definitely avoid feeding your dog, as it can cause many health issues ranging from intestinal inflammation to ulcers or other digestive problems.
If your dog is having an allergic reaction to dog food, they may demonstrate a variety of symptoms, including:
– Itchy, Dry, Flaky Skin
– Hair Loss
– Bumps, a Rash, or Inflamation of the Skin, including the paw pads
– Chronic Ear Infections
– Obsessive Licking or Chewing
– Upset Stomach and Diarrhea
If you notice any of these signs of allergic reaction, you should contact your veterinarian immediately so that you can rule out any other possible causes.
The Best Way to Save Money on Dog Food
Healthy, low-cost dog food can be difficult to find. Limiting your search to your local pet store may just make your shopping experience frustrating, because pet stores can’t be relied on to consistently carry all of the best brands. Instead, we recommend that you start your search online. Not only will you find a wider variety to choose from by looking online, you will also be able to search for the ingredients much faster.
You and your veterinarian know what ingredients and brands of food are best for your dog – you know your dog’s history, as well as what ingredients have previously caused an allergic reaction or caused him or her to gain weight. Thus, by searching for dog food that contains the particular ingredients that your dog needs, you will be able to find the right brand faster.
Moreover, searching online allows you to have greater control over your budget. When you show up in your local pet store, you might get stuck paying whatever brands they are promoting. Now that most manufacturers sell their dogs online, you will have the option to buy from the manufacturer directly or to check out how much a particular type of dog food is at different stores. As long as you make sure that all of the ingredients in your dog’s food are nutritious and safe for your pet, it should be easy to find food that makes your dog and your wallet happy.
Like with any purchase, it’s always a good idea to keep up to date on the latest news and research about dog food. It is also important to compare at least 3 or 4 different options before you make a final decision. A balance of price, taste, and healthy ingredients is the goal.
You should always consult your vet when choosing the right type of food for your precious pet. The next step is to employ the help of the internet and search for different manufacturers, brands and customer reviews. After learning about dog food processing methods, ingredients, and company reputation, you can make an informed decision that will keep your dog happy and healthy. After selecting the best brand of dog food for your pet’s needs, it is wise to look for discounts or coupons online. Purchasing bulk amounts of dog food online can save you both time and money while providing the most nutritious diet for your pet.
And remember, a healthy dog is a happy dog!
 PawDiet. “Artificial Food Dyes in Dog and Cat Food.” https://www.pawdiet.com/articles/artificial-food-dyes-in-dog-and-cat-food/
 DogFoodAdvisor. “The Truth About Animal By-Products in Dog Food.” https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/choosing-dog-food/animal-by-products/
 Wag! “Grain Allergies in Dogs.” https://wagwalking.com/condition/grain-allergies